Translate

Saturday 30 July 2022

Mid-year Musings about Covid

It is almost the end of July, and I haven't felt an urge to post about anything in particular. I think it's because my mind has been so full... Much of this last month has been exhausting, emotionally & mentally. I haven't been able to keep up with things important to me, and it frustrates me! 

So, we are halfway through 2022. My world is very different to how it was at the beginning of this year. I have experienced so many changes. I have seen first-hand the reality of Covid on loved ones and people in my care.

Like many healthcare workers, I am frustrated by the lack of care and complacency towards Covid. I recently began catching the train to work, after almost a year of driving. I stopped taking public transport because of the blatant disregard of 90% of passengers towards covid safety. I missed the walking, and didn't like the work carpark. So again, I stand out for following the rules. Yes- RULES. I hate standing out for doing what is mandatory for all. But Covid is REAL, so I will continue to keep myself (and others) as safe as I can. I stand by my own convictions. 

Covid-safe practices do not end when I finish a shift. I don't finish work then throw caution to the wind. EVERY waking moment, I am aware of how my actions or inactions can impact on others- and their lives. Therefore, I choose to accept the ridicule for taking lives seriously. I know 2 vulnerable people who have died this year from Covid. One was my 97 year old Nonna (grandma). Her age was amazing. She was a very strong woman who lived a full life. But Covid is not the way we expected her life to end. The other person could have survived, but chose to die. 2 people who could still be with us- if others did the right thing.  

So, please help healthcare workers to stay safe, and reduce their workload. The work is already exhausting, then added PPE & Covid-safe practices add to the load. I don't work in a hospital, but I can tell you the extra PPE is very uncomfortable. Especially the plastic gowns that don't breathe- some days our clothes are damp, and exposed skin (eg, arms) is covered in sweat beads/moisture after removing the gowns. It's a yucky feeling. BUT we persist because our hearts are for the valuable, vulnerable people in our care.

The general public expects healthcare workers to keep them safe, and take care of them if they end up in hospital. But who is looking out for the healthcare workers? I hope you, the reader are part of that group who does.

Let's continue to keep each other safe and respected. Every life matters. 🦋


No comments: