Translate

Friday 5 August 2022

New season, new shoes


I recently resumed catching the train to work, after almost a year of driving. I missed the exercise, but discovered my "walking" work shoes were well past their expiry date. So, I replaced them, and the new pair are sooooo much more supportive (& clean!). 

Seeing my 2 pairs of shoes together, I was reminded of the changing seasons in life- we have begun a new season, and it is clear the old season was "well worn". It was full of good things - growth, struggles, joys. Good friendships and investing our gifts to our church. But, like the shoes, the season had an expiry point. These old shoes are well-worn. They have scratches & holes that let the water in when it rains. Their support has worn, meaning I could inflame an old achilles injury, with continued use. They are no longer useful for the current season. We need new "tools" for a fresh purpose. 

The new shoes not only look better, but feel better. They are well-suited for the current season. We would be silly to try to carry last season's "tools" into the new season. Sometimes we just need a small confirmation of the new in our lives. New shoes mean new purpose, a new journey. Moving forward, progressing, and not falling down or returning to the past- seriously, who would want to wear old shoes when you have new ones? 

I would love to wear prettier shoes to work, but I am blessed with a practical job, and these shoes are "fit for purpose". 

The old, worn shoes represent a good, full and active season. They fulfilled their purpose. It's now time to leave them behind and enjoy this new journey! 🦋

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!" ~Isaiah 43:18‭-‬19a NIV

No comments: