Translate

Friday 30 November 2007

High School Reunions

It’s interesting how changing schools can affect the way you value people.

Recently I was invited to my Year 12 1o Year Reunion... but after being told partners were NOT welcome, and I was expected to travel a fair distance alone, I decided not go. I changed schools at the beginning of year 12 to study music.
After a year at that school, I never really felt I lost the “new girl” tag, and I only met about a third of the year 12 students. The only ones I’m really interested in I already maintain contact with (even if only once a year).

So after skipping that reunion, I hear my previous school is having their reunion… and I’m looking forward to going! I spent Years 9-11 with this group and I felt part of that group, even though I didn’t finish school with them. And they are more welcoming of partners…and even kids!

It’s interesting how I seem to value these people a lot more…even though I haven’t kept in touch with many. It’s like they are more ‘real’, and I lost the “new girl” tag well before leaving that school.

For those who don’t know…I attended 6 different schools, where the average person only attends 2 – Primary and Secondary (High). I went to 3 of each, both in the country and city. I had an interesting childhood :)

But with this group, even though I wasn’t invited to parties because I didn’t fit the mould – people knew I wouldn’t want to go and get drunk etc, so told me about it on Monday instead of inviting me… I am interested in these people. It’s funny how years after school, you can see old classmates who you weren’t really friends with, and have a good chat in shopping centre carparks etc… these people are more real :)

The previous reunion was organised by the “Clicky Group” I never got along with…and they created RULES – even 10yrs later… nothing has changed…I find that sad… It’s a bit like the movie “Clueless”, with all the ‘groups’. I would be the girl in the library who the popular girls would have avoided! Haha! I had no time or interest to try and fit in with the wrong groups. I found my own group, and we had good fun.

Actually, the ones who organised the reunion were the first people I met… you know how when a new kid comes to class, the teacher always selects a “buddy” to show them around and include in their group…I always ended up leaving the buddies.
It was like a pattern for every teacher to choose somebody who I didn’t really connect with. They did their job, and I was included to some extent, but we mutually separated and I found where I belonged.

Now years later, I realise that in this particular instance, it was a spiritual clash. Our spirits just couldn’t connect…now it is so clear to me.

So I’m looking forward to my 2nd opportunity :) I always felt I belonged with this group, and was actually hoping to be included in their reunion :)

No comments: