Translate

Wednesday 9 January 2008

Glandular Fever

Ok...I went back to the doctor... he said if I'm not better the next morning (Fri), use the new prescription and see him Saturday... which meant I would be taking TWO types of antibiotics.

Next morning I wasn't much better... and mum made me see my usual doctor for a 2nd opinion (clinic wasn't open when I initially needed to see somebody). He said not to fill the 2nd prescription, and ordered a blood test to rule out glandular fever. I didn't have many symptoms, but he wanted to be sure... especially since I didn't have a rash - the medication I was on should've caused a rash if I had glandular fever. Because it is useless for treatment.

The blood test was Friday. I had to wait til Monday for results. I didn't bother returning to the other doctor. No news Monday... they don't call if results are clear. But I found a rash on my torso when I got out of the shower...so ANOTHER appointment made...

And guess what... the doctor hadn't received the results yet, and after seeing my rash, called the lab immediately, and confirmed on the spot, I have glandular fever... the rash was a delayed response.

So now I'm OFF Medication, waiting for the rash to disappear, and just resting...and feeling better every day :)

He said, by the way I've been presenting myself, I should be ok to return to work next week. I only had a minor case, and didn't experience many symptoms :)

What a way to beging the year!

P.S. The first 2 doctors were extremely different in their approach... I really have more more respect for my usual doctor after this experience! But the other clinic was like a McDonalds Drive Thru - where they wanted to get thru as many patients as possible. My usual clinic has more time for the patients.

2 comments:

Rich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.