Translate

Monday 13 September 2021

Communication Styles and Loving Others

Something this season has highlighted for me is the communication styles of people on social media.

The Bible says, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35. 

One simple, yet vital word in that phrase... LOVE. It appears that through this pandemic, many Christians have forgotten how to love. The sad part is they probably don't even recognise it.

When I think about communication styles, I often think about the different versions of the bible. Most people are aware of the King James Version (KJV). The olde worlde language consisting of thees and thous. But this is not the first choice for most bible-reading Christians. There are other versions that use modern language. The version(s) we use comes down to personal preference. 

In my view, at one end of the spectrum of bibles is the KJV, and at the other end, The Message Bible (MSG). The MSG uses modern day language, to the point it reads like a story. It is relatable. You don't need a dictionary or thesaurus to understand what you are reading. Often it is a good translation to compare with others. 

Having said that, I deliberately use the MSG communication style on social media. I want to be relatable. I want people who read my words to understand what I am communicating, with no feelings of judgement or segregation. I want to be a positive voice in the sea of negativity.

There are many who deliberately use the KJV communication style. Unfortunately, this style often carries with it a sense of judgement and fear. There is no feeling of love. There is love in their motive, but it does not carry into the audience. Many readers, including other Christians, feel judged and attacked through this communication style.

This pandemic has caused much fear and confusion. There are voices everywhere, even when you're not actively listening. I call this "chatter", and I'm done with it! Positive and negative chatter. Since I decided to ignore ALL chatter, my peace has returned. 

What we need in this season, more than ever is love

We shouldn't need words to tell people we are Christian. Our actions and attitudes should do that. We should be recognised because of our love for others. It is not our place to judge. Our job is to simply love. 

No comments: