Translate

Wednesday 31 July 2013

More Reading... Crossing Over

I have begun and bought many books in the last month... and I have finished 2! (& begun more!)
The latest book I've finished: Crossing Over by Paul Scanlon.
This book is more about a church 'crossing over' from being old and stale, to a new and relevant church. He speaks about the different ways people react, how you will definitely find people who refuse to support you, and how you find those who surprisingly support you. It's all about change for a greater purpose.

For me, this book was more about my life, not the church. Yes, our church is going through many changes...we have new ministers who are doing an amazing job of moving the church forward, but naturally, this brings about change. There are many reactions to change...and it has been an interesting journey.

One analogy I liked was that of Onan and Tamar in the bible. Onan refused to obey the 'rules of the day'. He obeyed as far as marrying his widowed sister-in-law, Tamar, but refused to give her a child to keep the family name going. This was a cultural no-no. It could bring ridicule to the family line.
He appeared to be doing the right thing, but when nobody was looking, he 'threw away the seed', making it impossible for Tamar to have a child.

The Tamars, on the other hand, do the right thing, both behind the scenes and in public.
These are the people who 'search for God wherever he is'. They don't need somebody to tell them what is right, they know, and they seek it out for themselves.

If nothing else, the main thing I gained from this book is that I want to be a Tamar. I want to continue to seek God where he leads me... to follow and fulfil my calling... to keep moving forward... to follow the prompts even when my flesh doesn't agree with my spirit... to just keep moving forward :)



No comments: