Translate

Thursday 10 May 2007

...and the opposite

Today I remembered the opposite to our unsung heroes... the ones who can't cope with their children and so "relinquish" their rights to their child to the government.

It's the same thing, at the end of the day, I go home. But even if they love their child, some parents just can't cope with their child constantly in their lives.

I recall a young girl in a respite house...I remember hearing that her mum was at her wit's end and considering relinquishing... and she did. Now the girl lives between 2 respite houses...she alternates weeks until a more permanent home is found.

There is nothing wrong with this girl's personality. In fact, she has a gorgeous personality and is so cheeky...but she is also FULL ON and you can't leave her alone... when I work with her, there is always an extra staff to work 1:1 with her. Sometimes I am that staff.

It's true...at the end of the day, I go home. I don't mind working with this girl. But if I think about living with her in my home, and I can then understand the mother's frustration.

It's sad that people come to these conclusions... but in the end you have to remember that everybody is different, and some people have better coping skills than others.

I commend this parent for keeping her child at home as long as she could...it's just sad to hear these stories.

No comments: