Translate

Tuesday 23 January 2007

Painting Pictures Of Egypt

Painting Pictures Of Egypt
~Sara Groves~

I don’t want to leave here
I don’t want to stay
It feels like pinching to me either way
The places I long for the most
Are the places where I’ve been
They are calling after me like a long lost friend


It’s not about losing faith
It’s not about trust
It’s all about comfortable
When you move so much
The place I was wasn’t perfect
But I had found a way to live
It wasn’t milk or honey
But then neither is this


CHORUS:
I’ve been painting pictures of Egypt
Leaving out what it lacked
The future seems so hard
And I want to go back
But the places that used to fit me
Cannot hold the things I've learned
And those roads closed off to me
While my back was turned


The past is so tangible
I know it by heart
Familiar things are never easy to discard
I was dying for some freedom
But now I hesitate to go
Caught between the promise
And the things I know


BRIDGE:
If it comes too quick
I may not recognize it
Is that the reason behind all this time and sand?
If it comes too quick
I may not appreciate it
Is that the reason behind all this time and sand?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The first few times I heard this song on the radio I didn't like it... Then one day they had listeners call in and talk abt their favourite songs and why...and this lady talked about how this song has helped her because it talks abt wanting to go back to the old comfort zones, but then it's impossible to fit back in because you have moved beyong them. Then I started to REALLY listen to the song, and started loving it! :)

You can't go back to "Egypt" because you won't ever fit back in! You just have to continue the journey, and treat "Egypt" as an experience to learn from... And why would you WANT to fit back in after all the steps you've taken beyond it! :)

Just thought I'd share a "flashback" of my own ;) I wrote this about a year ago ;)

No comments: