Translate

Saturday 24 March 2007

Burnley Tunnel explosion

It's amazing... in my old job I used to drive the van through that tunnel when we took our clients to Williamstown... and EVERY time I went through (as either a driver or passenger) I thought of the movie, "DAYLIGHT" - where there was an explosion and people were trapped in the tunnel...

and yesterday I heard on the news that the Burnley Tunnel had an horrific smash, causing people to be incinerated in their cars, and about 400 people evacuated... 2 trucks and 3 cars (or something like that)... I used to think it was ok driving through when the traffic was light, but I would never want to be one of 400 cars/trucks...

I think the main causes were 2 trucks. 1. had a blowout and pulled into the emergency lane. 2. didn't see cars slowing down, and ran into the car/s in front at high speed, causing cars to crash into the walls and explode.

It was horrible news, and it seems like with many horrific accidents, one person did the wrong thing which was a fatal mistake... and they still don't have a final death toll...

2 comments:

Mike Messerli said...

Robyn,

thanks for visiting my blog. I am sure enjoying the things you guys share from Australia. Having never been there it is so interesting to read about your lives there. Thanks again for the note. I will stop by and visit often.

Robyn said...

Thanks Mike :)

You know in school one of my favourite teachers was a Messerli! I loved her! :)